In the ever-evolving landscape of digital marketing, the pursuit of increased visibility and website traffic remains paramount. This can be achieved by strategically utilising organic keywords.
In this blog, we’ll explore how you can effectively harness the power of organic keywords, not only boost your website’s search engine ranking, but also attract a more relevant and engaged audience.
Whether you’re an SEO expert or just starting your digital journey, these insights will equip you with the knowledge to significantly boost your website’s traffic organically.
What are organic keywords?
Organic keywords are specific words or phrases that naturally occur in the content of a website or online material. These keywords are called “organic” because they are not paid for through advertising. Instead, websites aim to rank well for these keywords in organic search engine results.
Why use organic keywords?
Organic keywords play a vital role in search engine optimisation (SEO) and are essential for attracting targeted visitors to a website. These keywords ensure that your content remains relevant to your target audience. By focusing on topics and phrases that resonate with your audience, you can attract visitors genuinely interested in your business’s offerings and achieve high click-through rates.
If your website ranks well for keywords relevant to your business, it’s more likely to appear in search engine results pages (SERPs), increasing the chances of users clicking on your website. This means when a user enters a search term into a search engine, such as Google, the websites containing relevant keywords to that search term have a higher chance of appearing at the top of the search results, ultimately driving free traffic to the site.
Benefits of using organic keywords
There are several benefits of using organic keywords in your content and SEO strategy:
- Higher Search Engine Rankings: Optimising your content with relevant organic keywords to your business will improve your website’s visibility on search engines. This is because when users search for those keywords, your site is more likely to appear in the search results.
- Increased Organic Traffic: Ranking higher in search results means more organic traffic to your website. This traffic is often more valuable because it’s composed of users actively searching for information or products related to your keywords.
- Cost-Effective: Unlike paid advertising, organic traffic generated through keywords doesn’t incur advertising costs. This can lead to a higher return on investment (ROI) over time.
- Builds Authority: Consistently producing high-quality, relevant content with organic keywords can establish your website as an authority within your industry, increasing trust and credibility among your audience.
- Improved User Experience: Organic keyword optimisation often leads to better-structured, more informative content that enhances the overall user experience on your website.
- Competitive Advantage: Researching and effectively using organic keywords can give you an edge over competitors who may not be as thorough in their SEO efforts.
5 ways to find organic keywords
Finding the best organic keywords for your business is a crucial step in developing a successful SEO strategy.
Here’s how you can identify the best organic keywords for your business:
1. Understand your target audience
Start by defining your target audience and understanding their needs, preferences, and pain points (you can do this using buyer personas). Knowing your audience will help you identify keywords that resonate with them.
2. Research your industry and competitors
It’s a good idea to identify who your main competitors are in the industry. Then you can analyse their website and the keywords they are targeting, giving you an idea of which keywords you should target.
3. Conduct thorough keyword research
SEO tools are a great way to identify keywords that closely match your main keywords, which you can then use throughout your website, and in your blog posts (if you have one).
Here are some free SEO keyword tools we recommend using:
- Moz Search Bar – A free Chrome Extension that makes it easy to do all your SEO on the go.
- SEO quake – A free add-on that provides you with key SEO metrics, along with other useful tools such as SEO Audit and many others.
- io – A free online keyword research instrument that uses Google Autocomplete to generate hundreds of relevant long-tail keywords for any topic.
- AnswerThePublic – A free a keyword tool that visualizes search questions. This tool collects data from search engines and quickly displays every useful phrase and question people are asking around your keyword in an image called a search cloud.
- Uber Suggest – A free SEO keyword research tool that specializes in generating new keyword ideas.
4. Focus on long-tailed keywords
Long-tailed keywords are arguably the most important for improving SEO, because they focus very specifically on a topic. These keywords are usually several words long and are considerably less competitive because they are narrowed down to a niche topic. Furthermore, website visitors who search long-tail keywords are more likely to fully engage with your content and seek further information, thereby generating the right type of organic traffic to your website.
Top tip: A good rule of thumb is to focus on one or two long-tail keywords when writing blogs or creating content for your website.
5. Monitor and Refine
SEO is an ongoing process so you need to keep regularly tracking your keyword rankings and website traffic using tools like Google Analytics or Google Search Console. Keep researching and optimising for new target keywords as trends and user behaviour evolve.
Remember that finding the best organic keywords is not a one-time task; it requires continuous effort and refinement. By understanding your audience, staying updated on industry trends, and using keyword research tools effectively, you can improve your website’s visibility in search engine results and attract relevant organic traffic to your business.
Industry specific organic keywords
Still not sure what keywords to use? Here are some industry specific keyword examples to help give you a starting point for identifying relevant keywords for your business.
Remember to conduct your own thorough keyword research specific to your business and target audience to refine your list further.
- “Best car dealerships near me”
- “Car maintenance tips”
- “Affordable auto insurance”
- “Electric vs. gas cars”
- “Top-rated SUVs 2023”
- “Online learning platforms”
- “College application tips”
- “STEM education resources”
- “Best MBA programs”
- “How to study effectively”
- “Upcoming movie releases”
- “Concert tickets for sale”
- “Video game reviews”
- “Streaming TV series”
- “Music festivals near me”
- “Personal finance advice”
- “Investment strategies for beginners”
- “Credit card comparison”
- “Mortgage rates 2023”
- “Retirement planning calculator”
- “Funeral planning checklist”
- “Cremation vs. burial”
- “Funeral costs in [your location]”
- “Grief support groups”
- “Funeral flower arrangements”
- “Affordable furniture stores”
- “Best sofa brands”
- “Modern bedroom furniture”
- “Antique furniture restoration”
- “Outdoor patio furniture sale”
- “Healthcare providers in [your city]”
- “Symptoms of [specific medical condition]”
- “Health insurance options”
- “Healthy eating tips”
- “Private medical services”
- “DIY home renovation ideas”
- “Roofing contractors near me”
- “Energy-efficient appliances”
- “Kitchen remodelling tips”
- “Home security systems reviews”
- “Best hotels in [destination]”
- “Vacation rental deals”
- “Luxury resorts with spa”
- “Travel accommodation discounts”
- “Restaurant reviews in [city]”
- “Solicitors in [City/Region]”
- “Law firms in [City]”
- “Wills and probate lawyers”
- “Divorce lawyers”
- “Court representation”
- “Healthy lifestyle tips”
- “Fashion trends 2023”
- “Outdoor fitness activities”
- “Vegan recipes for beginners”
- “Interior design inspiration”
- “Homes for sale in [city]”
- “Real estate market trends”
- “Rental property management tips”
- “Commercial property investments”
- “Property valuation calculator”
- “Job search strategies”
- “Resume writing tips”
- “Interview preparation checklist”
- “IT job openings in [city]”
- “Executive headhunters”
- “Online clothing stores with free shipping”
- “Best deals on electronics”
- “Black Friday sales 2023”
- “Customer reviews of [product]”
- “Online shopping trends”
- “Travel destinations in [country]”
- “Travel safety tips”
- “Cheap flights to [destination]”
- “Family-friendly vacation spots”
- “Solo travel adventures”
How to use organic keywords to increase traffic to your website
Once you’ve chosen the organic keywords you want to target, it’s time to incorporate them into your content.
Here are some ways you can effectively use organic keywords to boost your website’s traffic:
- Optimise your website’s existing content and create new content around your selected keywords. Ensure that your content is informative, valuable, and that it aligns with the search intent of users.
- Incorporate your organic keywords naturally within your content, including in titles, headings, body text, meta title, and meta description. But be careful to avoid keyword stuffing, as it can harm your SEO efforts.
- Pay attention to on-page SEO factors such as; URL structure (include relevant organic keywords in URL), internal linking, and the use of header tags to enhance the readability and SEO-friendliness of your webpages.
- Make sure your website is mobile-friendly, as mobile optimisation is a critical factor for search engine rankings and user experience.
- Build high-quality backlinks to your website. When other websites link to your content using relevant keywords as anchor text, it can improve your search engine rankings.
- Share your content on social media platforms, email newsletters, and relevant online communities. Depending on your business you could also collaborate with influencers or industry partners to promote your content to a broader audience.
- Continuously monitor and update your content to keep it relevant and informative. Outdated content may not rank well in search results (you can use tools like Google Analytics and Google Search Console to monitor your website’s traffic, keyword performance, and search rankings).
SEO is a long-term strategy, so it may take some time before you see significant increases in traffic. By following these steps and consistently optimising your website with relevant organic keywords, you can increase your website’s visibility in search engine results and attract more organic traffic over time.
We hope this blog has given you some insight into what organic keywords are, and how to use them to drive relevant traffic to your website. At LOCALiQ we help a variety of clients across a wide range of industries with their online marketing.
If you want further advice on your digital marketing, including SEO, PPC, paid social, and other services, feel free to reach out to us today. We offer a complimentary consultation to explore how we can make your goals a reality.
Here are some further resources you might be interested in:
- How to increase organic website traffic
- Tips for conducting effective keyword research
- Step by step guide to conducting an SEO competitor analysis
- The A-Z guide of SEO
- 5 examples of LOCALiQ delivering outstanding SEO results for clients
Prepare for SEO take off 🚀
Take the first step to ranking higher with our free SEO audit.
Get a complete overview of optimisation opportunities and uncover the actions you need to take to scale the SERPs.